Friday, June 8, 2007

Cork

Hello to all. It is very entertaining reading all of your comments. Especially yours aunt colleen, since you have so many memories of Ireland and know everything we are seeing. We went to Trinity but not into the book of kells. Was it very sad?? We didn't get kicked out of any pubs, but then again we didn't try to go into many. Nellie, we did hear some Irish music and I knew you would want to know about it. There was a live band at Temple Bar playing as we were walking "home" from dinner last night. Shannon G, it sounds very fun to walk the puppies in the park, I will walk the dogs and you push the stroller ok! :) OH ya, happy anniversary! Mom, we have an iron and ironing board available upon request at our b and b, I promise not to use it. hehe! Today I bought new socks, so I can throw the dirty ones away. I'm such a good traveler. Dad, I have actively tried just about everything with the phone. I found a place in Cork to have them unlock the razor (because of course it is locked) and then I am going buy a sim card for it. Then you can call me. I'll let you know if and when that works out.

Now I will tell you about Ireland to entertain you. Yesterday after I wrote we went and saw Christ Church, Dublin Castle, St Patricks Cathedral, and St Stephen's green. Check check and check, all of the sites of dublin. St Patrick's was huge and actually really cool. A good change from all of the Italian cathedrals and churches. Not gaudy at all, but with some monumental towers, and interesting windows. I really liked St stephen's green. It's a giant park and garden in the middle of Dublin, about three blocks from where we stayed (although the blocks are probably a quarter mile long each at least!). It is beautiful, and not surprisingly, green, and everyone is sprawled around on the grass enjoying the sunshine. This morning we got up and took a bus and the light rail to the train station, then took the train here to Cork. That was all pre-coffee for Amy, she's a trooper! We took a taxi from the train station to the B and B, which is great and our host gave us at least a half an hour lecture about the history and key sites of Cork (while we were still holding our packs!). He hopes we make lots of good memories here, he (and the taxi driver) were anxious to give lots of advice about what we could do here, apparently they like it, and so should we. I think I catch about 80 percent of what is said with the irish accent. I guess better than Italian or Spanish. :) So far, we walked downtown and had lunch at one of the cafes, a good normal chicken begal. Then we walked along the main street, and checked out the shops until we were sick of walking, and now we are checking email. We love you all! Keep the comments coming. Shan

3 comments:

Dannell said...

so now you have been to both St. Patrick's cathedrals. How did it compare to the NYC version? Did you love the irish stew? I like lamb.

If the countryside in Italy was like an Olive Garden commercial, is the country side in cork like the Irish Spring commercial?

Tracey said...

So why do the call it "Cork?" Seems like an odd thing to name a city if you ask me. Sounds pretty though!! Is there less shopping where you're at? Have you seen any leprauchans? That's funny that you throw your socks away rather than wash them. Mom was appalled. I got up at 2:30 this morning and went to my internship until 12:30. I learned a lot today! One of the reporters let me put on his microphone and had his video guy shoot me doing his report. It was lots of fun and good practice! I'm going to a movie tonight with some girlies and a wedding tomorrow. Woo hoo! We're looking for dogs in the newspaper. Hurry back so we can look in person. Love you.

Debbie said...

Two pretty blondes were spotted on a beach in Alicante by a US girl. She heard the two girls speaking perfect English and said I knew it! That is Shannon Brown from Post Falls. Her name is Amber Denman and she is stuyding there for the summer. Isn't that funny?