Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Happy art day!

I absolutely love reading all your comments. We always look forward to them, and then spend the rest of the night talking about the funny things you say and the news you tell us. I will tell you some more to hold you over for another day, but I think you are all going to have to hear our stories again in person when we get home. Amy says no presents if you don't. :)

So we woke up and went straight to Musee d'Orsay this morning. There was a tiny line that went really fast, it wasn't even out the door. I spent about three hours looking around. I made it to most of the museum, but spent most of my time at the impressionism, granted that is most of the museum. i actually got the little audio guide thing this time and learned something. So I lost Amy to the cafe and gift store after about an hour and met up with her at the end. There were soooo many pieces there it was sort of overwhelming. I snapped a couple of pictures just so I could remember my favs, I know you art ladies will be asking to hear all about it when I get home. So Van gough is my favorite in every museum, so that was fun. and i like the degas ballerinas. who can say? it was all amazing. and i saw another painter that i can't remember the name of but i took a picture. it was cool. sort of starting to be surrealist, of jungles and crazy things. almost a graphic symbolic quality. oh and renoir was really cool which i haven't really appreciated before. I really like all of their subjects of landscapes and countryside and regular people and everyday sort of life scenes. Today we also went to Notre Dame. I think it was very cool inside and out. I like how it is so sculptural on the back exterior. And the inside was so dark and mysterious with the huge columns and vaults and stained glass. We got very hot walking around so we went home and took a nap. Then did a load of laundry. It was pouring rain, so we went to dinner right around the corner from our apartment.

We will work on the hot chocolate day after tomorrow. Tomorrow we are going to Versilles. Amanda and sara recommended we rent bikes to go around the huge grounds, and i think that sounds like a great idea after all this walking. but amy might take some convincing.

10 comments:

Tracey said...

Hi Shanna Banna fee-fi pho fanna!!!
Awwwwwww you are so precious with your love for art. I am starting to like art too in preparation for when you take me to Europe. In my class we learned about Michelangelo and DaVinci. I like them both very much, but more so Michelangelo because I think the Mona Lisa is overrated...I don't see anything bizarre about her smile. Do you?! I'm jealous you saw the Degas. I'm a BIG fan of him. Van Gough..now isn't he the one with the really weird paintings? Oh and the starry night or dark haunted forest or whatever with the yellow??? You'll have to refresh my memory. So N asked for my number today...I am thinking I might give it to him, but I need your approval. I posted some more news on Amy's blog so check that out too. I was thinking we should hike Tubbs Hill when you get home because that sounds like fun to me. But most importantly we should get a dog. Oh and this is excitiing...I'm going to get an ORCHID. I need to nurture something and mom won't let me adopt an orphan from Tansania, and I'm not allowed to have animals in my apartment. So I'm going to get an orchid. Anyways, have fun at the Eiffel Tower!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should wear a beret on the boat ride!! That'd be cool. I think I'll get to be at the airport when you girls come home!!! Yea!!!!!

Dannell said...

I am so jealous of art day. thank you for living it all and telling us. Was Gauguin the foresty tiger and leaf painter? I love his exoctic stuff. The real people are so much more interesting to me than posed scenes too! You are doing it all just right.

Tracey said...

S I need you to write me back on myspace ASAP!!!!

Shannon Garcia said...

hey this is derek, i am not so good at this blog stuff and i think i may have sent my message twice, but here goes. it has been great to hear about your crazy adventures and we love hearing about them. Shannon and i are very envious of your travels and we would love to be there. We really miss you girls and excited to see you back home. I hope the rest of the trip is awesome. Just wanted to say hi and let you know i wasnt dead! Gabe is doing great by the way.
lots of love, the garcias

Debbie said...

I love hearing about all the paintings. That sounds like a wonderful day. But I think a day of bike riding would be a hard sell for Amy or me. :)

Mev_Lohman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mev_Lohman said...

Glad to see you're enjoying all the art :) Can't wait to hear about all of it in person...

Also, has Amy ridden a bike since the Tragic Accident?

Unknown said...

ok, another long (12 hour) day of working on the motorhome and I'm STILL NOT DONE!. one more day should do it I hope. Do you have umbrellas for all the rain? Tracey, Todd's mom is an expert at orchids. She's won lost of awards. I like art if it includes pictures of airplanes. Cupcake, you may say you have the attention span of a poodle but you are still cupcake!! :-)

are you going up in the effiel tower?

sorry, no plane to fly you from Seattle. I guess we'll have to let Southwest do the honors.

love dad/AF

GMA or GPA said...

shannon---this makes me a little
nervous about Amy on a bike, couldn't she get one of those fast
scooters? I'm having to step up
prayers for this venture.
Take Care, love you kids,
and we got your post card today,
thank you very much. you are
sweet to the old folks.

C.J. said...

I am so jealous...that is such a great museum...you are good to get Amy to stay so long...last time I was there we stayed until it closed! Did your ticket have art onit? Isn't that cool...Van Gogh is the BEST!