Thursday, June 7, 2007

Dublin

We got into Dublin last night and checked into our guest house. Very cute. This morning for breakfast they had normal things like cereal and milk and eggs. we were so excited. then we went to starbucks to continue the wake up drill. it is very strange coming from Spain-time to ireland-time. people are up by 6AM making the street all noisy, and then they have dinner at 6PM, so when we were trying to find something to eat at 8, nearly everything was closed or not serving dinner anymore. that made us very mad! on the way though, we saw a bridge with a fairly shallow canal going over it with little ducks swimming. Then we looked over and saw the tiny life preservers posted on both sides of the bridge. Maybe people get drunk and fall in often?? It seems like they should be smart enough to just stand up, I mean really it's probably about 18" of water!!Finally we found a kabob place that was open, yumm! Tomorrow we head to Cork in the morning. This morning after breakfast we headed out, we successfully took a bus from right in front of our guest house to right exactly where we were trying to go downtown. how often does that happen?? We went to Grafton street, which is a "posh" (as our taxi driver put it) pedestrian shopping street. I got a couple of cute things there. while we were shopping, I found this accessory store that had puppy accessories too, so I got a purple sparkely collar with sequins. I guess I better get a girl! Amy insists that a boy dog cannot have any sparkles and definitely not purple. she is so man! So once Amy finally released me from shopping duty, we went to lunch. Everything seems very "normal" here, and like at home as far as the schedule and the food go. they have about ten million juice bars here with every different combination of fresh juice. Yum! After lunch, we went to the National Gallary. It was very cool, especially the current show they have going on which is all Irish artists from the impressionism period. Plus, the building it is in is super cool and modern. I took some pictures, wherever I could. I wonder who designed it. At the millinium, Ireland passed a thing to make all of its museums and gallaries free, so you just wander in, and look around as you please. We thought they would make us check all of our shopping bags at least, but we didnt even have to do that. They also have two photography gallaries, but I dont know if we will make it since we pretty much only have one day here. I dont mind that though, I am looking forward to relaxing on the countryside. oh ya, somewhere in there we went to Trinity college, and saw a statue of Molly Malone an another one of James Joyce. They love people will alliteration?? Last night while we were looking for dinner, we walked by all the Georgian townhouses with all their little colored doors. soo cute! Our guest house is in one too. Now we are going to head down and see Dublin Castle, and probably St patricks cathedral. We miss you all, and always point out the things that each one of you would like to see.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi girls! it sounds like Ireland is on "America" time. that works for me. none of that dinner at midnight stuff. Shannon, obviously you have access to a computer and I haven't seen an email. I guess you've given up on the cell phone and don't want to talk about it? we tried to call Amy's phone several times yesterday without success. tell me when you see "your" river!!

love dad/AF

Shannon Garcia said...

You can get a little girlfriend for oso! He's fixed, so no puppies, but they will be cute walking in the park together! Ireland sounds much more "normal". And I bet the two of you blend in a lot better there.

C.J. said...

Did you see the Book of Kells? That made me cry and it was on a boring page!
Have you visited a pub yet? When we were there lots of them wouldn't allow women! Is it cold there? We miss you ,cj

Dannell said...

The aliteration thing is to keep stuff straight even after drinking, they love it! Do you hear traditional irish music? or even contemporary irish music? I saw the bridge and river on the Leeson St. Cam! I miss you a lot!

Debbie said...

Doesn't posh sound like an Aunt Lynda word?
I'm glad you are seeing architecture you find interesting and enjoy taking picturs of.